Deptford Park , SE8
This park is a welcome respite from the densely populated housing of Deptford.
Before becoming a public park, the site was a market garden owned by the Evelyn family. It was well known for its excellent onions, celery and asparagus. The Evelyn family sold it to the London County Council in 1884 and it was officially opened to the public on the 7th June 1897. The famous parks designer J.J. Sexby provided the layout that included several structures that no longer survive.
Since then improvements have been made including new boundary railings, brick pillars and gates. There is also a newly installed children's playground and a pretty paved area, and the main area of grass lends itself well to an impromptu kick about. It's also a particularly good location to watch the London marathon, which passes by each year.